Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I learned how to be a better communicator

I am a better communicator as a result of this course. I have come to realize that I was guilty of monopolizing “continuously focusing communication on [myself] instead of listening to the person who is talking” (Wood, 153). I have since invested much effort into eliminating this ineffective listening habit. Like most, I am turned off by self-centeredness, so when I became aware that I was demonstrating this attitude through my communication I was appalled and embarrassed. No one had ever brought it to my attention (to their good, patient, and tolerant testament), but a big part of being a good communicator is self-monitoring, and I do not think you should wait until someone complains if you truly want to improve and be a good listener and friend. We all make mistakes, and we can all learn from them. A great way to support one another when we are guilty of being poor listeners is the practice of dual-perspective. Because communication can be subjective we should all attempt to practice dual-perspective in order to prevent hurt feelings whenever possible. By looking at situations from another’s perspective we can save ourselves a lot of time by understanding their point/intentions from the start; rather than having to deal with the conflict-awkwardness-explanation-understanding process. This class opened my eyes to just how big a part communication plays in every aspect of our lives. Our communication styles impact the overall success or failure of our relationships, careers, and first impressions. For this reason, everyone can benefit from courses like these. I believe that we will all profit from this investment in not only our education , but personal lives as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment