Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Grace

Grace is such an important part of being happy that I think it deserves more attention in the class. People waste their whole lives being bitter and resentful. If the benefits of forgiving were made more public in our culture I believe that we would see a significant decrease in the amount of unhappy, angry, depressed people in society. It takes a lot to forgive (a lot), but when the consequences of holding on to negative feelings are weighed, I truly believe that we owe it to ourselves to let go, even when there isn’t any reason to do so. I’m not saying that we should have to keep toxic people in our lives. It is always o.k. and best to walk away from abusive situations whether emotional or physical. All I am saying is that once we have been violated, there is nothing that can change this; it happened. The only thing left to do is decide what we want to do with our feelings, and I think the best choice is always forgiveness because it frees our heart from the pain. A lot of people are struggling with this right now, and I think the subject should be given more focus.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you, Xylia. I didn't even think of this as a concept that should be discussed more within the class. It is true that we live in a society of unhappiness, anger, and simply unforgiving actions. Learning how to use communication to move past the unhappiness, anger, and forgiving through communication may be beneficial as well. I know from my own personal experiences that I have always had the hardest time when it came down to forgiveness. The main part of the reason for that is not being about to communicate with someone after I've been hurt, which won't allow me to forgive anyone. Being able to forgive and let go may be a good way to bring more happy feelings to people in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I want to believe you, there could be some things in life that some people can't forgive. For me, I can easily forgive and forget but the pain still resides in me and I tend to reflect on my errors on a really really long time. Every now and then, I randomly think back to a part of my past and it happens to be something I did wrong and I keep thinking to myself what I could've done instead to make the outcome better instead of what it is right now. For example, 7 years ago, I had a fight between two friends. I didn't know who to trust since they both didn't trust each other but both put their faith in me. I just ran away from it. Now when I see them, we seem distant and never talk to each other. It hurts quite a lot I can tell you that and I keep thinking what I should've done in the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You couldn't be more right. I have found this to be true as well in my life. Unfortunately for me I have been deceived by a lot of people and I have found that once they are out of the picture and nothing can be done about it, it helps just to forgive and forget. It is the best way to move on with life and stay happy. Grace is a virtue that is overlooked.

    ReplyDelete